Monday, February 21, 2011

NY Fashion Week Diary - Day Two

The morning of Friday, February 11 I woke up to my cell alarm and jumped out of bed to get ready for day two of fashion week. The Tess Giberson presentation was at 9:30 a.m., another early show, but this time I gave myself enough time to get ready.

Texture and layering dominated the Tess Giberson’s presentation. A very wearable collection with several cozy oversized sweaters, cowl necks, and fur vests. Every look was a stylish ensemble that I found very chic and alluring.

Tess Giberson Fall 2011

After the presentation at Lincoln Center, I jumped in a cab and headed back downtown to Milk Studios for the Parsons panel discussion, “What Should We Be Doing?” with Jeff Rudes (Founder and CEO of J Brand), Tommy Hilfiger (designer), Rogan Gregory (designer), Stephanie Rosenbloom (reporter for the Style section of The New York Times), Andrew Rosen (CEO and President of Theory), and moderated by Simon Collins (Dean of Fashion Parsons The New School for Design). The discussion centered on the importance of the apparel industry using American factories, especially those in New York and Los Angeles. Manufacturing in the U.S. allows designers to be more creative and innovative if they have direct access to the factory instead of one overseas. Jeff Rudes, who manufactures denim in California for J Brand, said, “There is something to be said about touching and feeling your samples.” They also discussed how Wall Street should help finance young and emerging designers and how the fashion industry should find a way to connect with Apple or other technology companies in order to help with advancements in production. Towards the end of the panel, Jeff Rudes suggested the establishment of a group or network where young designers could have the guidance of a mentor as they enter the fashion industry.

The Parsons Panel Discussion at Milk Studios

Afterwards on the 8th floor of Milk Studios, I took in the presentation for NAHM. Designers Ally Hilfiger, daughter of Tommy Hilfiger, and Nary Manivong’s freshman collection was not what you would expect from a Hilfiger offspring. Mostly in black and terracotta, they reinvented the shirtdress with a Raven themed presentation that included uneven hemlines and modern silhouettes. The goth-like pieces didn’t strike me as uniquely inventive, but I was still intrigued by their debut collection.

Nahm Fall 2011 - Ally Hilfiger & Nary Manivong

Later that day I made my way back to Lincoln Center for the Cynthia Rowley show. Her collaboration with artist Ryan McNamara produced a show that was about the fashion factory. Before each look, a model would run past the runway entrance in her undies, playing on the idea that fashion is, in essence, a factory assembly line. The artsy collaboration also transcended into the collection with the geometric and cubist-inspired patterns. Personally, I was obsessed with the velveteen fabrics, the fur neck scarves, the calf length dresses, skirts, and pants. This collection was a favorite so far.

More after the jump...


Cynthia Rowley Fall 2011

Cynthia Rowley Fall 2011

As I was about to head back to the hotel, I noticed a line forming in front of two people typing on electronic typewriters with blue wigs and covered faces. It turned out to be the Bumby’s, a Brooklyn-based performance art duo, Jill and Gill Bumby, who offer you “a fair and honest appraisal of your appearance.” Since the line wasn’t too long I figured I had time for an appraisal before dinner. The gist of my appraisal (the whole appraisal pictured below) was that my black and tan stripped shirt reminded them of a Parisian Bee who is not satisfied by hive-life. Well, I do have a French name, although I’m not French, but the second part makes me wonder if I looked bored. It was a bit uncomfortable standing in front of them for about 5 minutes as they looked me up and down while typing intensely but I don’t remember feeling bored. Regardless, they gave me a 9.2, which I assume is out of 10 so I can’t complain.

The Bumby's Appraisal


The Fateful Candle at Blue Ribbon Sushi
Then it was time for dinner at Blue Ribbon Sushi in Soho. My friend Beth and I arrived to a very packed restaurant at 10:00 p.m. While we waited for a table, Beth and I chatted as she leaned up against a decorative wall shelf with candles. In mid-conversation I hear a sizzling sound and then see a small flame erupt on the side of Beth’s head. I shrieked, but almost immediately the hostess was patting Beth’s hair down with a wet towel. Apparently a piece of her long hair had made its way into one of the candles nearby. We were seated fairly quickly after that and given complementary glasses of plum wine. Luckily her hair wasn’t completely fried off. Cheers to that! Then Beth’s sister Jamie Ray Newman, who is the lead in the Off-Broadway play “The New York Idea,” joined us with her castmate Mikaela Feely-Lehmann. The rest of the night was fun and drama free with lots and lots of yummy sushi and plum wine.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment