Thursday, February 17, 2011

NY Fashion Week Diary – Day One

As I opened my eyes 20 minutes before the plane landed at Newark airport, I realized that I had slept the whole red eye flight. Sweet! It was 6:00 a.m. on Thursday, February 10 and I actually felt rested and ready to start fashion week. An hour later I softly knocked on the door of room # 708 at the Crosby Street Hotel and my sleepy eyed friend Beth answers the door. As I’m frantically getting ready for the first show, I chatted it up with my friend. She wonders why I have so much energy after the red eye and I start to wonder the same. In the back of my mind, however, I know that I will feel the effects of the long flight later in the day.


Beth and I with our Starbucks
My first show of the day was Nicholas K at Lincoln Center. The brother and sister designer team Nichole and Christopher Kunz showed a collection of grungy street wear with lots of layering, ruffles, velvet, and plaid. The 90s are back, but this time with much more style. I especially loved the dark and earthly tones and a cream asymmetrical sweater that made me want to fight the cold outside. During the show I noticed several models with plaid shirts wrapped around their waists. Oddly this revived 90s trend looked cool again.



Nicholas K Fall 2011

Next up was Porter Grey. Again, there were lots of dark and earthy tones, but the collection was much more preppy and feminine. I was dying over a little black dress, which was simple but nicely tailored with a flared skirt. 


Porter Grey Fall 2011


Inside the tents at Lincoln Center
As I wandered around the main lobby after the two shows, I found myself at the TRESemme Style Lounge. Since I had run out of the hotel room with my hair and makeup barely done, the pop up salon was just the perfect fix. After getting my hair curled by a fab stylist I didn't feel like a total bum anymore. Even with my hair done, I could have still used a make-up touch up. Oh but wait, I come across a table that was giving away free Maybelline make-up. I absolutely love fashion week!


Cupcakes!
Leaving Lincoln Center the icy wind blows harshly and my face starts to hurt. I swear it was one of coldest days I’ve ever experienced. Apparently a native Cali girl and cold weather don’t mix very well. When I get back to the hotel my friend Beth greets me with a box of cupcakes she picked up nearby. We sit on the window seal of our gorgeous room and check out the city view as we stuff our faces. As the food coma begins to settle in and I get the urge to take a nap, I know I have to make my way back uptown for more shows.




Mena Suvari & Gabriel Union at Christian Siriano
Once I arrived back at the tents, I checked out the Mara Hoffman presentation. She definitely went back to her tribal inspired roots, but this time with a bit of 70s flare. The colorful maxi dresses and oversized sweaters were my favorites from the collection. Later that evening and a few blocks past the Lincoln Center, I attended the Eva Minge show at Good Units at the Hudson. Kelly Rowland sneaked in minutes before the show started and sat front row, of course. The whole collection was mostly black with hints of red and a few bronzes pieces here and there. The gorgeous black lace dresses with bronze lining underneath really stood out to me. Then, bearing the cold again, I made my way back to the tents for Christian Siriano. It was a mix of classic wearable pieces and overstated gowns. The last look of the night was a beautiful mauve silk organza ruffled gown skirt; quite a dramatic way to end the show. Afterwards, everyone swarmed Mena Suvari and Gabriel Union, who were sitting front row at the show.

I finally did crash at the end of the day so I decided to turn in early and order room service. If only I could have ordered a massage as well.

Related Articles:
NY Fashion Week Diary - Day Two
NY Fashion Week Diary - Day Three
NY Fashion Week Diary - Final Day  

More photos after the jump...

Mara Hoffman Fall 2011

Christian Siriano Fall 2011

Eva Minge Fall 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment